FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Stop the cruise I want to get off
View Single Post
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:49 am
Travel & Leisure

Programs: AAEP, other airs, hotels, ccs
Calling for an opinion is fine, but email is way better! Get all agreements in writing. I was once told I could not board until 2 p.m. when embarking a port late (after clearing it all pre-cruise), only to be left standing dockside by a ship that left 20 minutes earlier. The port agent was shocked, the local travel agents were shocked, my travel agent was shocked, and I was pissed. I had to pay for a 'local' flight from Madeira to Canary Islands and the associated excess baggage fees (350 euros), spend another night on Madeira waiting for the flight, pay meals, and taxis, all with questionable hope of getting it back. However, it was all in writing, and my U.S. based agent had even sent me some of the details, so even he had it. I never expected to get it reimbursed, but I got all of it. It was all because of an impatient captain on a three star ship.
My husband stepped off a world cruise for a month in 2009 with no problem, and on our first cruise ever, we got off a port early in England. Everyone just has to be on the same page, literally, and don't expect to get any money back or discounts.