FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:09 pm
Blumie
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I love Magazine St - I've noted a bunch of new stores I'm hoping to be able to wander into this time. What I'm hoping to do Fri or Sat afternoon is take the street car up to the "far" end of St Charles and do a walking tour of the big pretty houses [Garden District] and then walk back some on Magazine St, stopping for food, drink & shopping as needed. I also noted a few of the breweries on Tchoupitoulas you mentioned upthread - I fear that might be too much for one afternoon though....
Originally Posted by FLYMSY

Just as a point of information, if you go to the far end of St. Charles Ave. you’ll be in the Uptown area of the city. The Garden District roughly lies between Jackson Ave. and Louisiana Ave. and between St. Charles and Magazine St.

Here’s a map from the Preservation Resource Center that outlines the various neighborhoods.

https://prcno.org/resources/explore-...f-new-orleans/
There are a couple of ways I would recommend “doing” Magazine St.:

If you are are willing to spend all day walking, start by taking the streetcar to the “far end” of St. Charles. Get off in front of Tulane and cut through the beautiful Audubon Park to get to Magazine St. Turn left on Magazine and walk as far back as your legs will take you. This will end up being a 5+ mike walk, but on a nice day it’s a great walk. You can do it at a leisurely pace and check out all the shops. And of course there are great lunch options, quick ones like Stein’s, Magazine Poboys or District (sliders, donuts, and coffee), fancier ones like La Petite Grocery, Coquette and Shaya, and great more casual sit-down places like Casamento’s and Lilly’s Café. (I think that list covers my favorites on the street!) If you are able to walk all the way back you’ll be able to wander through the Garden District as well.

Alternatively, start your day with an Uber to Surrey’s (the Lower Garden District location) for a great (though super casual) breakfast. After, walk uptown on Magazine to and then through the Garden District — maybe a mile total from Surrey’s. Make your way to St. Charles and then hop on the street car, continuing uptown until the Carrollton bend. Hop off and come back the other way. This takes you through a very small but still interesting stretch of Magazine while still including the Garden District and a tour of uptown on the streetcar.

Last edited by Blumie; Feb 13, 2018 at 10:02 pm