FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Avoiding chain hotels
View Single Post
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:36 am
CPRich
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
When I travel with my family, the hotel is the place we want to spend the least amount of time. We will get breakfast (free) at my "chain" hotel, then hit the city/town/slopes/beach/etc of the destination to experience the culture and offerings of the place we have chosen.

We stayed last summer at Palacio del Inka, an historic building with plenty of amenities, historic artifacts, etc., etc. We basically saw our room, the breakfast room, and the hallways in between. We were out exploring Cusco and the surrounding areas to meet the people, see the parades, explore the museums, etc., etc. all day.

So when a hotel is just a place to sleep, I'll get the free breakfast, welcome amenities, and collect points for my next (free) stay at another location.

I know folks who go to Maui and stay at a 5* resort, lounging at the pool, beach, etc., for an entire week. We prefer to head off at 7a to Hana and the Pipiwai trail, returning in the dark. YMMV.

We did stay at an "independent" hotel at Machu Picchu, but we were out at 7a and back after dark there too. So anything special about an independent property was missed.