FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ritz-Carlton Cancun (Mexico) [Master Thread]
Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:26 pm
lincoln boy

When I was planning a trip to RC Cancun, I faced the same issue. So here's my attempt to help you and others who are thinking about RC Cancun.
My stay: 12/29-1/2 all paid with points.

My impression: It is a nice property, well maintained, and very clean. The bed was comfortable and the food was reasonably priced and decent. The pool is not large (not a big deal, since the ocean is right in front of you). There are many chairs on the beach. But the hotel itself shows age. Most importantly, I did not feel "wow" (not even once during the stay) with regard to the service and the property. It is not 5 star property. 4 star is appropriate. I would not return to this property. I suggest you not to waste points on this property. Lack of reviews and comments on this property was probably because there are people like me who felt that this property is over priced or not worth spending 50,000 points/night.
Most of the reviews on TripAdvisor are great. But if you have stayed at other 5 star properties (in another words, if you are spoiled due to miles & points), you might feel the same way as I did.

Originally Posted by thenumblehigwoo
Why are there not more posts about this property? Very unusual for a high-end hotel here. Family of 4 looking for travel in August. Couple of questions:

1) Apparently with points you can only book rooms with a single king bed and not two doubles. As a result, the maximum room occupancy is 3 people. Anyone ever booked award stay with 2 doubles OR squeezing 4 people into a single king room?

They don't allow you to book 2 doubles with points. I asked many times (maybe 4 times). They might upgrade your room to 2 doubles at the check in but not in advance. If you get a slightly larger 1 king bed room, you can place a Queen size air mattress (brought from home) on the floor. If you are assigned to a regular 1 king room, there is not enough room for the air mattress. As long as you are fine with 4 people in the same bed, they don't charge you.

2) How kid friendly is this place compared to the Hyatt Ziva Cancun?

Definitely Hyatt Ziva. The pool at Hyatt Ziva is warmer and the beach is calmer. Plus, the staff are nicer and more friendly.

3) Do you have to pay the $40 daily resort fee if you use points? With Hyatt properties you don't have to.

I did not know that they charge $40 resort fee (maybe this is a new thing). I did not have to pay the fee.

Ultimately our decision may be made for us if we can't get four in a room on points. Will stay at Ziva if this is the case.

Last edited by lincoln boy; Feb 10, 2018 at 8:33 pm Reason: additional info