FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase Freedom 2018, 1st Q, Bonus Categories
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:40 am
Stgermainparis

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bgriff
Surprised there hasn't been more discussion of this as I was thinking of it this morning. I believe through Apple's new Apple Pay Cash system, you could pay someone else (say, a spouse ... hint hint) and charge it to your Freedom card at an Apple-imposed payment fee of 3%, but earn the 5x points per dollar. Anyone tried it?

Personally I think I have enough other spend to max out this quarter without having to pay 3% for some of it, but it is an interesting idea. I am also getting a fair amount of my spend this quarter through Apple Pay on Uber, Lyft, and food delivery apps, which is only a 2 points/dollar marginal improvement over the usual CSR return, so I guess you could debate whether continuing to earn 3pts/$ on that spend and paying 3% outright for my 6500 pts is a better deal.
I'm going to do this for the remaining space I have to get the 5x at the end of the quarter. My concern right now is whether or not Chase will treat it like a cash advance.