FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BOG & CTG via AA & Latam Colombia
View Single Post
Old Feb 8, 2018, 4:25 pm
tjcnkc

Programs: AA Exp, One World Emerald
Day 1 - Travel Day

I headed to KC International via Uber about 1.5 hours in advance of my flight, security was a breeze (thank you TSA precheck). Once at the gate there was some confusion on if the flight had even left DFW or not but after about fifteen minutes they figured out it just touched down in KC. The flight ended up being about 15 minutes late for boarding. I was in seat 4B on a S80. The FAs were fairly attentive with pre departure drink requests, etc.

Landed in DFW about 15 minutes later due to our departure, made my way over to Terminal D and the Admirals Club. Had a few snacks and killed my 3 hour layover by reading for the most part.

Once it was time for boarding, headed to gate D31 for my flight to BOG. The A319 for a five hour flight, it's not very comfortable. I was in seat 2F and those seats are a a$$ killer (for me at least). The flight attendants were very nice and helpful. Had dinner which was a filet which was ok. Spent most of the flight watching a couple of movies.

Landed in Bogota on time. Made my way to immigration which was quite packed but moved along steadily. Took me about 45 minutes to clear immigration then customs.

Headed outside to the taxi stand and took one to my AirBNB in La Candeleria which is about 20 minutes from the airport. The taxi was 30K COP which is about $10USD.

The AirBNB is in a modern building (one of few in this historic district) an pretty reasonable, about $45 USD per night. The owner met me at 1:30am to let me in and make sure I was settled. The place is nice and quite central. Crashed about ten minutes after I arrived and had a good nights sleep.

Day 2 - Sightseeing in La Candelaria & Amazing Lunch

The next morning I slept in a bit, the elevation of the city is making me a bit cloudy headed. Once I pried myself out of bed and cleaned up, time to explore the neighborhood. First stop to grab some coffee at Union Cafe which was right around the corner from the AirBNB.

After coffee, headed towards the Gold Museum and caught a few sights of La Candelaria.

The Gold museum is really interesting. Great collection of south american gold (and other artifacts) prior to Spanish conquest. The cost was 8K COP or less than $3 USD.

After the God Museum, I checked out the Emerald Market. Lots to see but didn't buy anything.

The I headed to Chorro de Quevedo which is the center of La Candeleria and also have some of the best street art and murals i have ever seen.

After checking out the street art, the Botero museum was up next which is connected to a couple of other museums. They are are all free of charge.

Close by the Botero museum is Plaza Bolivar

Catedral Primada

The presidential palace

By now, I was famished and decided to grab lunch. One of the restaurants I wanted to try while in Bogota is Leo which is helmed by chef Leonor Espinosa. She basically pioneered modernist Colombian cuisine utilizing indigenous foods and pairing with lots of fermented beverages.

The restaurant is downtown and I grabbed an uber which was quite reasonable.

I opted for tasting menu which was pretty amazing. I had quite a few foods that I have never tried before, it was a really great experience. It is pricey for Bogota but for people traveling from the USA and Europe it was modest ~$75USD.

There are a couple of Restaurants Leos which are close by and not affiliated. The website is Leo Espinosa - RestauranteLeo
A few of the courses I had in the tasting menu.

Last edited by tjcnkc; Feb 11, 2018 at 6:39 pm