FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Boston Globe: Federal regulators may take action against TripAdvisor
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:48 pm
SanDiego1K
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Unless that's what was written on Trip Advisor that proves nothing. I'm suggesting that the reviews are getting nailed by a language filter rather than being deliberately suppressed.
It's probable that there is a filter. We have filters on FlyerTalk. (Our filters blank words but not posts.) But whether TripAdvisor or on FT, people make decisions about what words are unacceptable. And I do believe that beyond setting up filters, there were TripAdivsor reviews making decisions that led to additional deletions. Several women wrote about contacting TripAdvisor about their posts that were deleted and were turned down about having it posted. Again, that means human interaction.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...say/820094001/

Since July, when the Journal Sentinel began investigating the mysterious death of a Wisconsin college student in Mexico — and found widespread problems with tainted alcohol, derelict law enforcement and price gouging from hospitals — more than a dozen travelers from across the country have said TripAdvisor muzzled their first-hand stories of blackouts, rapes and other ways they were injured while vacationing in Mexico.“To me it’s like censoring,” said Wendy Avery-Swanson of Phoenix, whose recent review of a Mexican resort — describing how she blacked out from a small amount of alcohol served at the swim-up bar — was removed from the website.

https://amp.jsonline.com/amp/817172001
What about the other 27 posts? Did anyone express worry, describe problems or share experiences that might serve as warnings?

The public had no way to know.

The posts had all been removed from the forum.

In their place was a message from TripAdvisor that cited various reasons for the deletions: They were “determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community,” or removed by staff because they were “off-topic” or contained language or subject matter that was not “family friendly.”

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel asked TripAdvisor to see the posts that were removed. The company refused.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/woman-a...mexico-resort/

"I got up, ran through the resort. Made it to a lobby. Please call, I've been raped, I've been raped. Please call the police. 'No, we're not going to call the police ma'am,'" Love said.

"I felt I was completely out of options, and my next greatest weapon was TripAdvisor," she said. But when Love posted her experience on TripAdvisor, she says it was deleted and that the site repeatedly scrubbed the content telling her it violated the company's "family-friendly" policies.The Journal Sentinel reports that after TripAdvisor deleted Love's post, at least two more women were sexually assaulted at the same resort complex.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Feb 5, 2018 at 5:55 pm