FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Montreal Le Meridien [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:34 am
escape4

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Cheapest Starwood Option in Montreal

Introduction I stayed twice at this property in the last few months. It is an ok Starwood hotel in Montreal if you are on a budget. Rates are usually far less than Westin, Le Centre Sheraton, St.Paul, and W. Point redemptions quoted in the older reviews mentioned 7k starpoints; this has unfortunately increased to 10k pts. Considering that you can get other Starwood hotels (except W) for 12k pts, then for sure I would not spend 10k for Meridien and I would rather pay 20% more points for other hotels. The cash price difference between Meridien and other Starwood hotels can be 50% or even more than double so if staying at Meridien you will want to pay cash and the savings can be material. I paid 113 CAD on BRG and 2k starpoints on top. Parking is valet only but not cheap (28 CAD). You need to go inside the hotel at check-in to request the valet. Location What makes this hotel a decent choice in Montreal is the location. You are not exactly in the middle of the action, but close enough to be a viable option if you need to be downtown. It is hard to find a downtown Montreal hotel for less than 150 CAD per night, but Meridien can be had for this price or lower for several dates if booking in advance, except perhaps in the summer. Dining The breakfast is subpar in my opinion and service was deficient. First off the seating arrangement is very cramped. Second, food ran out frequently and they were very slow to refill. Note that for platinum benefit you need to choose between points and breakfast, they won't give you both. On my second stay I did not even bother with breakfast because it's not worth it. I took the points. Room As others noted, the platinum upgrade is for the "junior suite". I received this upgrade on both of my stays. I will never complain about an upgrade, but honestly this is only a larger room with the advantage of being in the corner. It's not that large at 37 sq meters (so almost the same as the regular room at Westin), but much better than the tiny classic room 21 sq meters.The condition of the room is so-so. There were stains on the carpet. The vent in the bathroom was running 24/7 so I had to close the door to block the noise. The deadbolt on my door was not working. These were not major issues that made me want to complain or request a different room, but be aware that you get what you pay for. Gym The gym is tiny and does not even have an elliptical machine which is a negative for me. I rarely see hotel gyms without an elliptical nowadays. There are only 2 treadmills and one bike, in addition to free weights. No drinking water and no cleaning supplies available to disinfect the equipment. Overall For this price point I will possibly return some day at Meridien, but it's better suited for my purposes if it's for a quick 1-night stay rather than an extended stay. Set your expectations accordingly - you go there if you are willing to compromise on various issues, in exchange for a low price.