FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - As competition heats up, Southwest wants San Diego to know it's No. 1 airline
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:11 pm
tphuang

Originally Posted by diver858
I was asked for my opinion, gave 3 specific factors I consider important; had NOTHING to do with standard seat pitch or check baggage policies, unsure of the incessant need to promote WN, other carriers in the AS forum. I value the ability to reserve an exit row or premium economy seat at booking, chance at a first class upgrade - one of the primary reasons I choose to remain loyal to AA and AS (will leave the subject of IROPS interlining benefits for another day).
I was in Northern California on business this past week, did some wine tasting in the Lodi area on the way to Sacramento (highly recommended, BTW). There was little time to pack the 4 bottles of wine purchased along the way, only had a 12-bottle cardboard wine case from my last stop. Upon arrival at the AS counter in SMF, the gate agents were super friendly, reminded me of the AS policy to check one case of wine for free (not an issue, as I am already MVPG, hold the AS credit card), took the time to add packing materials to secure the bottles on the box, tape it carefully, cover it in more than 1 dozen "fragile", "special handling " labels - all done while I was walking to the gate - for an upgraded first class seat. Upon arrival in San DIego, the box was carefully placed in the oversized baggage area, not dropped on the carousel with other checked baggage. One can make the argument that I was an MVPG, sitting in first, but the ticket counter agents truly went above and beyond - something I would not have even ATTEMPTED with WN.
It's great that you are an MVPG and purchase FC a lot of times. Not everyone is a frequent flyer that need the extra comfortable seating. Most people just want to get from point A to B reliably with a good schedule. WN does that very well. They provide certain perks that other airlines don't and have maintained that over time. That to me is not an airline that started the race to the bottom. The race to the bottom happened because airlines figured out that consumers care about price more than anything else. If saying that WN is not a bad airline is promoting them, then I guess that's what I'm doing.