FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Boarding Etiquette when arriving late, after your boarding group - opinions wanted
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:06 pm
AceReport

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stefang
As 1K, I get to board United flights in Zone 1. Occasionally I arrive at the gate late, when another Zone is already boarding. In this case, I feel that I missed my chance to board Zone 1, and get in the line of the Zone currently boarding (e.g. 2, 3, 4, 5). Today, I saw other Zone 1 passengers, who after missing Zone 1 still made use of their privileges by cutting to the front of the line of Zone 3 passengers currently boarding - and felt this was somehow "rude".

Would you consider it poor social etiquette in this situation to cut in front of passengers currently boarding, when you missed the chance to board with your Zone? (I am more interested in social norm & expectation than than United's written policicy)

I tend to agree with you personally that if I am Zone 1 and get to the gate late I will just get in the queue that is currently boarding. I'm not sure if I would go so far as to call it rude to cut to the front of the line because that is what people who are either Elite or in premium cabins have paid for one way or another.