FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyphenated Name?
View Single Post
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:31 pm
orbitmic
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by jlevy
My son's name is hyphenated and also has an apostrophe. Recently he traveled to Canada and had a very difficult time because his ticket did not show either. Why is it that this happens sometimes and not others. We traveled abroad before and I don't recall if his ticket showed the hyphen or apostrophe but we did not have any problems.
you don’t say what sort of problem. My best guess is an issue with api/electronic travel authorisation reconciliation? If the travel authorisation showed the punctuation but not the API or vice versa, maybe the passenger wasn’t automatically matched with the eta and the airline thus got an automatic warning that the passenger didn’t have travel authorisation?

I’m taking a wild guess here and maybe the issue was totally different but if not, in an age when much travel is about advanced reconciliation between various sources, consistency is the key so if you can’t hyphenate everything hyphenate nothing.

Last edited by orbitmic; Feb 1, 2018 at 2:46 am