FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NYT Article - She Boarded a Plane to See Her Dying Mother. Then Her Ticket Was Cancel
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:19 pm
SFOrunner

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chrisl137
This is consistent with my experience - all my tickets for work are booked through an in house (contract) TA, and we have a preferred carrier deal with UA. The agents at the TA use their own credit cards, so the original payment isn't in my name, either. I routinely have gone in on the UA website and changed my own tickets without any ill effects - there were maybe three years recently when I never flew an itinerary as originally booked, and few, if any were booked more than a week out, some even booked while I drove to the airport and then I changed the return on the UA site when I figured out when I really needed to come back. I'm not sure about the T-48 business from another comment - I suspect I've made my own changes further out than that with no problems. I think the only times I ever had to actually talk to a TA after booking were due to wrong hotel reservations and I think to unwind upgrades (both paid and CPU) when it turned out I needed to change my flight after checking in. Nobody has ever made a peep about changing a TA reservation on the UA site. I've also occasionally (but infrequently) had coworkers call and change my flight when there were multiples of us traveling on the same flights and were finished early and flying back together. Normally everybody books independently based on their schedule and preferred airports. This is all SOP for how I travel, and if UA had to track down me and the TA to make a change, that could be a problem - if I were to send an email requesting a change be made while I'm working in a location with no cell reception, it could be very difficult for them to confirm my change.

The TA was in the wrong for the unilateral cancellation.
I can echo these sentiments. The Fortune-100 company I used to work for used Concur for all airfare purchases, and the tickets were paid for by AMEX Travel (I assume that counts as a Travel Agency?) I never called AMEX Travel to change my reservation...always dealt directly with United, and I never had a ticket canceled.