FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:01 pm
sexykitten7

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Normally they don't offer seats on the next flight unless they're sure they're available. Volunteers typically won't end up on the standby list (unless that's part of the discussion when volunteering). Note that it's possible -- but uncommon -- to be put onto another oversold flight, at which point you can volunteer again if you like. You'd still be considered a confirmed passenger in that scenario, however.
Well the next flight showed Full in coach and first on the app. It's possible the GAs had better intel than me but I don't think so. There were 4 GAs split between 2 gates (boarding simultaneously) and during the announcement she said "We're looking for volunteers on our flight to (where? oh.) FLL," which didn't inspire confidence. My theory is bolstered by the fact that both flights went out full with no standbys.

Of course, for all I know, the first flight went out even and no one was harmed, but it did strike me as odd to offer seats you don't have (according to the app).