FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A week on the Amalfi coast in late June - early July
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:17 pm
rickg523
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Perche
Yes, I would disagree strongly. It is touristy beyond belief. I hardly recognize being in Italy there. It also has the problem of no beach. There is one, but Sorrento sits on a cliff. You'd have to make it down the cliff. It is very overpriced. At least in Venice you can get away from the hordes of tourists anytime, if you know where to go. In Sorrento there is no escape.
Yes, we've disagreed about Sorrento before. I don't even dispute your points (I'm not sure I've ever read a post of yours I found factually inaccurate) I just don't find the tourists that objectionable in comparison to the convenience it affords for touring around Campania. But I only go there in the off season.
Maybe also I go in expecting Sorrento to feel a bit like central Rome, less like a small, kind of isolated, coastal town. Crowded with visitors and plenty of clip joints, but also plenty of opportunity to find that kind of Italian hospitality (even among the mobs) prevalent in the South but which isn't so easy to find in a city like Rome as an obvious visitor. And you know how much I love Rome.
TBH, I prefer Sorrento to Positano, which feels to me like a beautiful courtesan, only there for the well-heeled visitor. To me it feels less authentic than Sorrento. Prettier though. Similarly, on the Lakes, I prefer Varenna to Bellagio.