FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2018 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread
View Single Post
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:03 am
HHonors OUTSIDER

Originally Posted by scubaccr
IHG Corporate mandates that hotels release 5% of room capacity as award nights , with no blackout dates. Hotels at their own discretion may release upto 10% of rooms, in which case IHG pay a nigher nightly amount to such hotels, and even hotels that stick to 5% get a $$/night lift after xxx award nights in a year.

PBs come out of the hotels normal 5% award bucket , but is a limited part of that bucket, both across the whole 3months and individual nights (eg if 100room hotel has 5x award rooms/night, not all 5rooms on a single night can be booked as PBs). Once the allocated number of PB nights at the hotel are booked, then you are left with standard rate awards.

Frustrating for me in booking -9 day 1week trips is that in major cities often Fri+Sat weekend nights are booked up quickly as single/double nights, so making it impossible to book a week away on PB..... thats assuming that a prime night (or set of nights)( is not already exhausted at normal award price before PB goes live. Valentines day and Easter 2018 on April 1st, might be sold out before PB was live !
Thank you for your post. I have a couple of points and a question or two. My understanding when point breaks started all the room nights were available out of the 5 or 10% pool. That may have changed at some point but either way I don't understand why in any 3 month period why a property cares if all their point rooms are booked? If they are over 95% booked on any given night they receive 100% of the average room rate for that night and if they are less then 95% booked that night the room may of gone empty and shouldn't matter if a point break took that room. If 5% is to high for point breaks then lower it to 3% or 2% which you suggest they have already done for the point break portion. My main question is why don't they lower it to 2 or 3% of inventory and have all properties on the list say once every 3 years or 4 years? So for example if they have 4000 properties and 250 on a list with 4 lists a year. So if my math is correct a property would only be on the list one time in a 4 years over a 3 month period. If they pick the correct percentage of inventory like say 4% is what my guess it would be (2 or 3% if necessary) it should make all IHG members happy and not cost any specific property very much one time every 3 or 4 years. Am I missing something?