FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA FA out of control or badly behaving passenger ?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:15 am
MissJ

Funny that this would be the example because something similar in my past is part of what first made me realize just how awful and mean a lot of the public is to workers and how often the customer is not right.

I was literally 18 years old, a kid. I was working at a cash register, guy paid, as I am getting his change he turns to look at something and walks away from the register. I stand there for a second and then the phone rings. I am one of two people in the whole store and I will get yelled at if I don't answer it (store manager often calls). I put his change down on the counter and grab the phone which is a few steps away. Phone call is something quick, I hang up and turn around to him yelling at me that I am a racist and have disrespected him. I was stunned, said something about how I have to answer the phone and he yells at me again. My coworker (who happens to be a well over 6ft tall black guy) hears this and starts to walk over while saying "what did you say to her??". Dude leaves, coworker gives me a hug as I am a freaked out 18 year old girl. ....

Anyway, long story short, situations like that and some other rude interactions I had in my youth while working with the public definitely shaped my opinions and made me decide I would never work in a customer facing job again. People can be truly hateful.

Just a couple of weeks ago, I saw a guy throw a wadded up boarding pass at a GA and make this "shoo" hand gesture at him like he was an animal. All because (from what I overheard) the GA said they could not move his seat on a full flight. GA was not phased, just kept doing his thing and moved on.

Not at all saying the FA wasn't at fault, just thought the juxtaposition of the example was funny. Meanness can easily go both ways, but I do tend to not believe a lot of people who proclaim how horribly they were treated. I'll watch the video when I'm not at work.

Last edited by MissJ; Jan 30, 2018 at 10:06 am