FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - November Venice Meet: II
View Single Post
Old Jun 20, 2004, 12:10 pm
Dovster
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by monitor
There's also a Ramada at I95 and Hillsboro that is much cheaper and only slightly less conveniently located.
This brings up a subject which was discussed at length in the other thread, but deserves a brief recounting here: Where to stay in Venice.

Obviously, I think that the Ai Mori d'Oriente is offering us a tremendous deal, but seeing as it is quite small (I seem to remember reading on one site it only has 41 rooms) and we won't be the only ones staying there, it may soon be full.

If you find yourself looking for a hotel but don't know Venice, keep the following in mind:

Main City: Venice is a collection of islands, but most of them are very close together, easily reachable by foot from any of the others, and together can be considered the "main city". This is unquestionably the most convenient of the possibilities. It is also the most expensive.

In turn, the main city is broken up into sections. The area around St. Marks Square demands the highest prices (for equivalent hotels), followed by the area near the train station. The rest of the city will provide much better bargains.

Mestre: This is where the above-mentioned Ramada is located. Generally, it has more of the American-type hotels in modern buildings. It is less expensive than the main city but to get to Venice itself you have to take a short train, taxi, or bus ride.

Lido: During the summer, prices at this beach resort go sky high but they fall tremendously during the off season. You will be able to pick up major bargains here and, like Mestre, you can drive your car to your hotel and avoid the high parking fees. The only way to get to Mestre is by ferry (with your car) or by water bus. These are very convenient during the day but less so at night.

Don't be fooled by statements in websites like "only 2 miles from St. Marks." That could well mean two miles by sea in a fairly dead island like Murano. If you have any question about where your hotel is located, find it first on a map or write to me.