FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2018 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread
View Single Post
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:48 pm
jpdx
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Today's list is weak weak considering that it's the first one -- this is not the big start with fireworks we had when PB first came out a decade ago (with ICs in Tokyo/London/etc) -- but frankly in line with what I'd expect a three-tiered list to look like in a normal quarter.

There are some decent hotels on there (happy to see ICs and Indigos!), but of course a lot of the 10k and 15k properties used to be on past PB lists as 5k, and there are very few >$150 places. I'm a little surprised that --at least for the first time of the three-tiered list-- they couldn't muster up more and better properties in Europe (during what's low season in most places) and Asia.

All that said, I think the game has fundamentally changed over the 10 years since PB was introduced. Occupancy rates are sky-high in many places, you have many more people chasing award rooms, there's a whole industry selling the cheap travel dream to the masses (and PB with its super cheap rooms is a huge selling tool for bloggers). Of course I don't like higher prices, but it's unrealistic to expect IHG to give us 5k rooms at a good selection of decent hotels in all eternity. Look at all the devaluations that have taken place over these 10 years -- points requirements have doubled or tripled for many hotels (at all chains), new tiers have been introduced (the fanciest ICs were 40k in 2007), and some programs have been completely gutted (Hilton). I think we had a great run with PB, and I hope that they stick around in this new format for a few more years.