FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi Hilton Honors Reserve Card [Ends Dec 2017]
Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:23 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
When I pointed out that this would be too late relative to what I am hoping to avoid -- my wife picking up a pointless new card on her credit accounts -- I was told that this would not be a new account. When I pushed back saying that it would be a new card number and a new card provider, and that it was hard to imagine how this would not appear as a new account to the credit bureaus, she insisted that it would not.
It doesn't matter whether it a new card number or a new card provider. What matters (to Chase) is what "opened on" date they attach to new account.

I've had card accounts transfer between banks before, and they kept the original "opened on" date.

The only problem you'd have is if you opened the Reserve card less than 2 years ago, in case both the Citi card and the Amex card appear with same "opened on" date, and you now have two "opened on" dates in the past 24 months instead of just one. But if you opened your Reserve card more than 2 years ago, chance are the Amex card inherit that "opened on" date and will thus not seem to Chase like a card opened in the past 24 months.