FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is the defination of a business hotel?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 6:55 am
deniah

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Vince Chan

So, what is usually the definition of a mid price hotel in downtown in the US?

I meant, if Marriott and Sheraton or Hyatt is positioned as Business hotel which should be a mid price range , but Marriott positioned them( Westin Marriott Sheraton LM) as Upscale series.

And we got four points or Courtyard which is again, a business hotel, so how should we label them? Are they also mid price?

And , the more upscale JW Marriott or Conrad is again usually displayed as a business hotel, so I am really confused is the term “ business “ hotel here in Western usually refer to a more upscale meaning? Like business class in an airplane? Is this the same case here? But like you said,business hotel is not luxury, but business class is luxury, so the term business hotel in western is more like referring to a mid price simple hotel like Courtyard or Hyatt place?

Because not just Japan , in Mandarin, China or Taiwan or HK , business hotel is usually referring to a cheaper, mid price , clean, not full service 3 Star small hotel. We labels Marriott or Westin as 5 Star here.This is really weird.

It perfectly demonstrates there is no single perfect system to define it.

BTW the star rating varies depending on the issuing authority and even then it's really a features-checklist.

As far as I'm personally concerned, there are:

* Motels
* Budget Hotels
* Extended stay Hotels* Business Hotels
* Boutique hotels* Luxury hotels
* Resorts

these categories are non exclusive...they overlap. But they have a good correlation to price.