FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2018 Pointbreaks Discussion Thread
View Single Post
Old Jan 26, 2018, 9:43 am
hhoope01
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by travelbarefeet
What if apples and bananas are 1€ but every friday, apples go on sale for 0.50€. Now, every friday, apples are 0.50€ and bananas are 0.75€?
I think the concern is now every friday, while some apples are still on sale for 0.50€, some apples, say Red Delicious, are now 0.75€ to go along with bananas at 0.75€.

So maybe you do have some bananas on sale that you didn't get before, but there are also some apples that aren't on quite as good a sale as they used to be. So whether you think this is good or not, depends on your "valuation" of Red Delicious apples versus bananas. And never underestimate, as some have mentioned, this may be a moving target. The next PB list may not only include Red Delicious apples in the smaller discount, but also include Granny Smith apples. And then the next PB list may add Honeycrisp and so. Before too long, there may be very few apples still at the 0.50€ sale.

So is this a one-time devaluation? A slow shift to more and more devaluations? Just a shift of value to allow inclusion of more options? At the moment I sure can't say for certain, but I think it is a valid concern.