FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [FARE GONE] NZ: US Destinations to AKL - $350ish ai
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:24 am
Clincher

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
Originally Posted by arcticgrin

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Do you have any advice on how to proceed? I emailed and they said its a 15 day response wait time.I have contacted them via Facebook messenger and they said to email them. They are just giving me the run around. They won’t answer who to contact at NZ to get reimbursed for non-refundable expenses. The only thing they said is to send them to your travel agent. Who uses a travel agent nowadays ?

First register the complaint with the airline and DOT. If enough complain to DOT maybe some pressure will force the airline to rethink their stand. Then if needed small claims court is your friend. It cost only about $20 to force a Air New Zealand representative to stand in front of a small claims court and explain why they cancelled a contract (ticket # is a contract). Sometimes the judge will ask if the parties involve want a few minutes to arbitrate without the courts intervention. In such moments the airline may offer some compensation. I'm fortunate to be close to NYC small claims. Small claims in person may not be convenient for every one.
I am sure opinions vary on the above recommendation. All I know is what has worked for me in the past.