FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:57 pm
raehl311

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
I'm hesitant to argue with you, since you're obviously speaking from experience. I'm fairly certain that you've been done a favor -- maybe the same favor, multiple times, but a favor nonetheless. They're essentially applying the flat-tire rule in advance -- which is, itself, a favor, although one that's routinely granted. Normally, though, with the flat-tire rule, they'll put you into a confirmed seat -- into positive space if they're feeling generous, or into the first available seat in your fare class if they're not. Either way, you could then standby for an earlier flight than you're confirmed on. (Incidentally, that's how IRROPS works, too -- you're not just put onto standby; you're confirmed onto the first available alternative and can then standby for others).

I suppose that there's no technical reason that they can't delete a confirmed segment from your record and replace it with a waitlisted one. I'm just surprised that it's such an easy ask. :-)

If you read United's policy on the issue, while it's a bit ambiguous as to whether you can same-day standby across calendar days, it otherwise seems to imply you can same-day standby for any flight you could same-day change to (if there was inventory), which would include flights after your original flight.

I see nothing on the United Same Day Change policy page that indicates Same Day Standby is only available for flights before your original flight.