FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Airlines Fleet Updates [2018 Edition]
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:27 am
EWR764

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by joeljack
Great news, thanks! Also, why is UA reducing the CR7's while increasing CR2's? I thought only the 76 seat RJ's had the cap on them where they couldn't add any more above 153 frames unless they added a small mainline aircraft.
UA is replacing the CR7s one for one with E-175s up to the current scope limit of 153 76-seaters (E75) and 102 70-seaters (38 E70/64 CR7). I think the last E75 is or will be on property soon.

The CR2s (50-seaters in general) are not scope-limited and UA can fly as many of these as it wants to. The Air Wisconsin contract is apparently quite flexible and can be drawn down at pretty short notice. United is trying to increase connectivity at its hubs and the CR2s will predominantly be used in short, less-competitive markets to bring higher-yielding pax to the hubsites for distribution around the network. Kirby is convinced that United's relative disadvantage in terms of hub quality to AA/DL is partially responsible for United's revenue and marginal underperformance.

My guess is part of the deal ensures Air Wisconsin will be the first in line to operate new large RJs if United is able to negotiate scope relief from the pilots.