FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:01 am
jrl767
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I'm gonna roll the dice and guess that the nearby airport was Burbank (I don't think there were any nonstops from LGB up to SEA until a few years later - if ever). As such, let's say segment 10 was BUR-SEA with airline 5 being Alaska and the equipment being a DC-9-80, aka MD-80 aka Maddog.
correct on all counts, except for the dates regarding LGB-SEA service: I flew that aboard an Alaska 727-100 in 1983, returning from a job interview with Northrop in Pico Rivera ... what I remember most about that trip was that I bought up to F for maybe $35, and the guy next to me put away an actual handful of Jack Daniel’s on the rocks (one before pushback, and four during the flight)

Assuming airline 5 is Alaska, let's stick with Burbank as the nearby airport. Now then - you've got a connection between BUR and SEA. Let's say the connection point is SFO. In 1991 I flew BUR-SFO on United in order to log my first ever flight aboard a 737-500. What the hey - let's stick with UA BUR-SFO and the 735 for segment 15, and Alaska for segment 16 SFO-SEA with a 727-200.
BUR as the origin is correct
SFO as the connecting point is partially correct (i.e.,not on this trip)​​​​​​​
UA is partially correct
737-500 is incorrect
Alaska 72S is correct

Again working on the assumption that airline 3 truly is United and we're dealing with a bunch of different aircraft models, let's go with segment 14 (SEA-LAX) being operated by either a DC-8-71 or a DC-10... I'll pick the Super 8 to the Golden State.
UA is partially correct
D8S is partially correct

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
OK, here are my final guesses. If I'm not correct now, I'll let someone else try:

DAY-STL: 727-100 partially correct as noted
CVG-STL: DC-9-30 correct
STL-SEA: L-1011 correct

Last edited by jrl767; Jan 25, 2018 at 8:10 pm