FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Disgruntled AS Employees: "It's a race to the bottom."
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:38 pm
makfan

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
But airplane meals were still the butt of jokes then. Imagine, blast chilling in bulk and reheating food in airplane ovens doesn't yield Michelin stars all the time.

I'm partial to Beecher's or the modest Alaska cheese and fruit tray myself if I need food on the plane. Hits the spot. But the food available in airports for purchase these days is better than I recall in the past. Sometimes a bit pricey but I've had decent steak sandwiches and chop salad in LAS at their steakhouse in T3, or had a good bite at Vino Volo in SEA/IAD/SFO if I have time to kill before flying (I've even baked in time occasionally for the meal). No airplane oven reheating required, either.
Many airports have upgraded their food in the terminals, and when time permits I take advantage of that. Of course, when your 90 minute connection becomes 35, you are stuck with the four pieces of lettuce and two bites of chicken that they call a snack these days.