FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - India joins US Global Entry programme.
View Single Post
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:11 am
AB3DC

Programs: AMEX Platinum, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Keyser
so i hate to be the bearer of bad news but here is some more information i got yesterday....at a function last night i had a half hour conversation with the ias officer in the home ministry responsible for global entry applications for indian citizens....here are a few points from the conversation:
  • they were not informed in june 2017 that an announcement was going to be made to open up global entry for indian citizens....
  • when the announcement was made they were given a weeks time to comply with the requirements....
  • when the requirements were put into place it was initially just a police verification for indian residents....the rest of the background checks were to be done by the us authorities....
  • about a week after applications started coming in the pmo added a few requirements like full background verification to be done in india & every indian citizen, regardless of where they were living would be required to go through the police verification process....
  • shortly after the pmo introduced some added requirements which then included approvals from the finance ministry (enforcement directorate) & the home ministry (intelligence bureau, central bureau of investigation & research and analysis wing) before the application was sent back to the us for final approval....
  • the external affairs ministry sent in a report to the pmo requesting no police verification for people living outside india as many of them had no address in india anymore....
  • the pmo agreed to relax some requirements for indian citizens living abroad but still insisted on the police verification & approval from the finance ministry....
  • so far from the 5k+ applications they have received, the finance ministry has cleared over 75% of them so that completes the verification process for those living outside of india....
  • as far as the home ministry is concerned, not even a single application has been approved since they are right now debating which agencies they need to get clearance from....the pmo has said clearance should come from all 3, ib, cbi & raw....the home ministry recommends that only clearances from ib & raw would suffice for global entry & there is no need for the cbi to get involved....
  • the home ministry has recommended this to the pmo & the pmo has called a meeting in mid march to discuss this....

i asked him while they were waiting for the meeting with the pmo, would it not be a good idea to start getting the approvals from the other 2 agencies....this way if the prime minister insisted on the approval from the 3rd agency they atleast 2/3rd of the work would have already been done....he just shrugged his shoulders & said no one would be able to take that call since the pm has said all 3 approvals are needed so they will either send the applications to all 3 at the same time or to none at all till this is clarified....i asked him how long he thinks this whole process would take & he was confident it would be done at some point towards the end of the year....

so i guess we still have a long way to go....
Thank you for the update, Keyser. If I'm reading this right:
If you are Indian citizen living abroad then, you need only police verification and finance ministry clearance.
If you are Indian citizen living in India then, you need police certification, finance ministry clearance, IB, CBI and RAW clearance. A meeting is set in March to recommend to PMO to remove the requirement for CBI clearance.