FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - YBYL (You Board You Lose) on AC?
View Single Post
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:54 am
yyznomad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jasdou
Yep, I was a victim of the "You Board You Lose" approach at AC last week. I was #2 on the upgrade list. Capacity: 16, Booked: 15, Checked-in: 14. I boarded at the end of Group 2, asked the GA if there were any hope for an upgrade for me and she said there was no chance I'd get a J seat, so I boarded. The number of booked seats dropped to 14 as boarding progressed.

Sure enough, when boarding was complete, there were two free seats in J. The GA came on board, exhanged a few words with the SD while handing the manifest over after with the SD came in the back to fetch two people and put them in the free J seats. One of them was an FA in uniform (deadheading?) and the other was a man in a suit. So at least one seat was given to a non-rev and I don't know about the other.

A bit frustrating to watch from my 12C seat but not a big deal considering this was a pretty short flight.
I learned this the hard way once just like you did, and ever since I've never boarded until the bitter end if I'm on the waitlist.

GA's tend to DGAF when it comes to the question of "what are my chances". The answer is almost always "none" when in fact they kinda don't know and just go off hunch and DGA