FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY (master thread July 2017 onwards)
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:00 pm
Thunderroad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by vivrant
Really excited I was able to secure two seats for the wife and I in the First Apartments, all the way through from JFK-AUH on the 380 and then AUH-SIN on the 787..
We do have a ~11 hr layover while in AUH which we don't really mind since I'm reading that there is a gym, food is great, showers are nice and there is a spa. But not sure if we want to stay in the lounge the entire time...
My question is - how should we best make use of our time during the layover? We've never been to Abu Dhabi and I think we get chauffeur service right to/from so could we theoretically take advantage of the car service to get us into town for some sight-seeing and then back to the airport? If so, any left luggage facilities we can leave our carry ons? Thanks!
Good for you! I agree that the Grand Mosque is beautiful, though be aware it can get kind of crowded. My wife and I did it on our last overnight transit through AUH and liked it. For the next time through, later this year, we plan on checking out the Falcon Hospital, apparently close to the airport: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...Abu_Dhabi.html. I believe its two-hour tours are at 10 am and 2 pm, but you can find out for sure online.

One thing about getting around: From the number of posts, it seems like you're an experienced traveler. Still, I'll just flag the issue of jet-lag in your weighing whether you should drive around or not.

Anyway, happy trails!