FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Effective March 1, 2018, Enhanced Requirements Service/Support Animals
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:23 pm
StayingHomeIsBetter
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by LegalTender
No, it's black-and-white DOT policy

UA​​, AA implemented it earlier. Among others.

https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...upport-animals
Thank you! ^

Facts are so useful.

Originally Posted by justhere
Maybe I missed it but that link states that the 48 hours is for ESA's. I doesn't see anything about Service Animals needing advanced notice. However it seems DL is requiring 48 hours for service animals so I'm curious to see if that gets challenged.
"Emotional Support and Psychiatric Service Animals - Airlines can request specific documentation and/or 48-hours advanced notice for service animals that are emotional support animals and psychiatric service animals."

Originally Posted by pvn
...Your presentation here is shameful and misleading.

A serious consideration of other links that Legal has cited would readily turn up the following:

How do airlines determine whether an animal is a service animal?
  • Airlines can determine whether an animal is a service animal or pet by:
    • The credible verbal assurances of an individual with a disability using the animal;
    • Looking for physical indicators such as the presence of a harness or tags;
    • Requiring documentation for psychiatric support animals and emotional support animals; and
    • Observing the behavior of animals.
  • Emotional Support and Psychiatric Service Animals - Airlines can request specific documentation and/or 48-hours advanced notice for service animals that are emotional support animals and psychiatric service animals.
What kind of documentation can be required of persons travelling with emotional support animals and psychiatric service animals?
  • Airlines may require documentation that is not older than one year from the date of your scheduled initial flight that states:
    • You have a mental or emotional disability that is recognized in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM);
    • You need your emotional support or psychiatric support animal as an accommodation for air travel and/or for activity at your destination;
    • The individual providing the assessment is a licensed mental health professional and the passenger is under his/her professional care; and
    • The licensed health care professional’s;
      • Date and type of professional license; and
      • Jurisdiction or state in which their license was issued.

I quoted more than was necessary to address your particular point. I did no to demonstrate that DL's new policy follows the DOT guidance.

https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...upport-animals

Last edited by Canarsie; Jan 21, 2018 at 3:01 pm Reason: Consolidation.