FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:37 am
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pretzlaff
Can somebody tell me why I should take the new Ascend card that is sent because of my current Citi card. I would get no point bonus for accepting it.

Why don't I cancel my Citi card, so the Ascend card does not go thru. Then apply freshly for a new Ascend, so that I can get the 100k points after the associated spend.

Aside from a credit pull that I do not care about, I see no reason to not do this.
It's probably way too late! They probably already count you as a "previous holder of this card",(even if you cancel now) and thus you are ineligible for the bonus.

The news that was going to happen broke on Nov 1. Why didn't you cancel then? Apparently Nov 17 is the cutoff date, but we didn't know that until way later. But anyone who wanted to be sure to not get an Amex, they should have cancelled on Nov 1 as soon as this switchover was announced.

Meanwhile, there are three other cards you can apply for and get the bonus (if you've never had the other three). So focus on the bonus on those rather than the Ascend.