FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Baggage Question
View Single Post
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:25 pm
Dave Noble
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tillyroo
Thanks serfty for the information and the links, very much appreciated. Just for info, I did contact Qantas and they confirmed my international allowance applied to the entire trip. As I am flying out very soon I will know for sure lol. I do appreciate everyones responds to my question, and will post the outcome on my return to Australia for the sake of anyone else that may have a similar concern.
Since AA is the 1st marketing carrier in the itinerary, it is AA that gets to apply its policies or that of the most significant carrier

If it chooses its policies , then its allowances apply for the entire trip and what they are at the start stay the same
If it chooses the MSMC policies , then the MSMC 's allowances apply for the entire trip and what they are at the start stay the same

The thing should not be too much of an issue since part of DOT rules is that the allowances and fees for extra bags are required to be on the itinerary or eticket receipt.

If you have a look at the documents sent by whichever company sold you the ticket, the allowance will be detailed there

I believe that AA does defer to the MSC

In the end, if travelling economy, it doesn't matter since bot AA and QF allow 2 pieces free of charge on journeys between USA and Australia
If travelling 1st class both allow 3 pieces

The only case where allowances are different is in business class, where QF's allowance is 3 and AA's is 2