FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any recent Coast Starlight info?
View Single Post
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:03 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Richard Anderson is also credited with doing a Gordon Bethune-like job of turning Delta into the profitable carrier it is today. So far as I know, Amtrak has never made a profit in its 47 year history. Dating back to the Reagan days, more than a few in government would like to quit funding Amtrak altogether - or at the very least downsize it to just a few short intercity routes primarily in the Northeast. The factors that in the 1950s and 60s contributed to the downfall of the American passenger train as a mainstream consideration for long distance intercity transport are even more pronounced today. I love the Pacific Parlour Car as much as anyone but perhaps Anderson's moves are what it'll take to keep long distance train travel alive here in America, much less keep keep Amtrak operating at all.

Also worth noting - those Pacific Parlour cars date back to the 1950s. More than a few cars from of Amtrak's first generation bi-level Superliner equipment are now approaching 40 years old, having entered service on the Empire Builder in October 1979. If many in congress aren't overly keen to continue funding Amtrak, I can't imagine they'll be remotely enthusiastic about the cost of purchasing a couple hundred new cars. Remember, we've got a wall to build!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 19, 2018 at 5:30 pm