FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase Product Change/Card Conversion: Downgrade, Upgrade, Keep or Cancel? (2016-2019)
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:07 pm
penner42

Originally Posted by junks2010
Hi All,
If I convert my CSP to CSR in the middle of my CSP membership year, how does chase calculate the annual fee for the new card?
Is it going to be (0.5 CSR AF - 0.5 CSP AF), and the renewal date would be 6months from the conversion date? OR is it going to be the (full CSR AF - 0.5 CSP AF) and renewal would be a year from the conversion date? If it is the former, will I have $150 travel credit for the first 6 months, then $300 at the renewal?
Thanks.
Originally Posted by junks2010
Just got the CSP bonus a year ago, so I will not qualify for the CSR bonus.
Originally Posted by RNE
Then wait to apply until you are qualified to earn the bonus. Converting is unwise, methinks.
Why? Converting doesn't stop you from getting the bonus any more than waiting does. Chase is not American Express. Converting, and then canceling in a year and applying for a new CSR is the same, bonus-wise, as not converting, canceling in a year, applying for the CSR. Can't get the CSR bonus while holding the CSP. Having had a CSR (but not having gotten a bonus on it) does not preclude getting a CSR bonus once the 24 months are up. Converting for a travel credit + 3x on travel and dining could be worth it.

I just asked a friend who upgraded his. Said he upgraded in March, but didn't get charged the CSR annual fee until September when his CSP fee would have been due. YMMV. Since he did it in March (before it switched from calendar year to cardmember year), he got 2 $300 travel credits out of it. I'm guessing your first $300 travel credit would be available immediately, but don't know for sure.

Last edited by penner42; Jan 19, 2018 at 3:19 pm