FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:28 pm
wh6cto

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
My understanding is that it will launch on the 787-10.
That seems like the most reasonable way for them to test the product, especially with the small size of the fleet (at least in the beginning).

But would the 789 be the next ones up? Seems they are used for the ultra-longhaul (i.e. LAX/SFO-SIN; IAH-SYD), where I would expect PE to be very desirable to passengers. And the need to make sure these seats exist on those flights, so they can be sold. Also, the -9 to -10 interchangability would.help on shorter routes (i.e. SFO-HND, LAX-NRT).

As others state, the 772 Polaris retrofit seems like an opportunity to do this, but there's just so many of them, and it would be hard to control which routes they fly during the transition. I'm thinking maybe plan they do it as a E+ -> PE swap later, which could potentially be much faster. (i.e. at MIA, instead of HKG/XMN heavy maint).

All this total speculation on my part, of course. Just because it's way too much fun.

Last edited by wh6cto; Jan 18, 2018 at 7:30 pm Reason: fixed grammar