FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City {US-CA}
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:35 pm
mommafrica

Originally Posted by acarney
Jesus, the lounge is STILL closed?! Man...

So by "studios" I assume you mean Universal Studio's? If so, yes, neither would really be an "easy" walk for you if you have some disability. Even with Hilton the properties (Hilton & Universal) are so large that it's still a 5 min walk with some down hill a little and then back up hill a little. Either I was completely stupid and couldn't find an entry/exit point with the Hilton that was close to walking over to the road and crossing to Universal, or one doesn't exist and they planned their hotel HORRIBLE for that. Honestly you end up walking around 3/4 of the property (if you exit near the front desk) and have to walk around basically on their parking lot/road ways. They have some sidewalks but not one long one around the towers to the "front" (the side facing the road and Universal studios). I felt fine since it was slow and well lit at night, but if there were shuttle buses and cars coming and going I would have looked crazy walking around with them driving next to me.

I'm not sure your level of disability (wheelchair bound vs some mobility, etc) but you might want to research/call Universal Studios and get some information on their VIP tickets. If you have limited mobility but can handle a couple stairs (such as what you would find on a shuttle bus) and walking some but not long standing in lines, the VIP might allow you to have a better day. I've done the VIP tour a few times. The back lot studio tour is closer to an hour and a half or two hours compared to the normal 30 to 45 min. You see everything you would on the normal tour, except you're in a smaller "tram" that carries like 25 people. It has two fairly steep/large steps getting in/off but is nicer and has more room compared to the standard ones. You also get to make two or three stops and actually walk around the back lot for pictures and stuff. Usually you get to go into one sound stage for five minutes or so and look at an active set (unless they're actually filming that day) and some extra stuff like that. If rides won't be your thing, or you'll be limited one which you can do, this might add a nice chunk to your day. They may also have a full wheelchair accessible VIP tram (and normal tram actually) so you might want to call and ask. In addition you also do all the normal rides and shows but have zero wait time in lines, like literally the longest wait is maybe two to three minutes. They also will be able to better explain if each attraction is suitable for you based on your ability and what you're ok doing. I've been on the tour three or four times and there have always been a couple people that want to skip one or two rides based on personal reasons and the guides have always been able to "drop them off" at a gift shop for five or ten minutes while taking the rest of the group to the ride and then gathering them back up for the next one, etc. They also have a fantastic VIP lunch in a nice little "hidden" indoor sit down location (with a GREAT outdoor area that has AMAZING views). It's buffet style but very gourmet. I've seen hot meats and sushi and baked salmon and stuff like that, but at the same time it's also pretty darn vegetarian friendly (as theme parks go) with probably 8 to 10 different food items that are marked vegetarian. The tour is a bit pricy compared to normal tix, ~$300/person but is well worth it if you can afford it and plan to spend all day at the park. You totally never wait in lines, get a great meal, get to spend ~2 hours on the back lot tour where you're usually sitting back relaxed as they drive you around, but get up and get to walk around a few times for a few minutes each time. Certainly call ahead and ask them about it and their accessibility options.

As for restaurants around the hotel... well there really aren't any unfortunately. Universal Studios is up on a hill and both hotels are about 3/4 of the way up the hill. Pretty much nothing else is up there besides offices and stuff for Universal. It's not far to get to Burbank or Studio City (literally like half a mile or something) but the hill is steep and probably wouldn't be something you wanted to tackle. You can Uber it probably, or if the shuttle runs regularly to Universal Studios and you don't have to have a park ticket to use it, you can do the Universal Studios City Walk. It's a decently sized out door shopping area with a big AMC movie theatre and a couple restaurants. A handful of quick service ones but also a few more "dine in" style ones. Hard Rock Café, Tony Roma's, Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville, etc. https://www.citywalkhollywood.com/ It essentially butts up against the park's front gate, https://www.citywalkhollywood.com/Visit/Map/

I hope you enjoy and PLEASE post an update on the Sheraton thread on how the remodel went! Not a lot of people from here seem to hit this Hilton or Sheraton and post updates very often so sometimes information is a year or so old. I'll most likely be doing another Halloween trek down to SoCal and have the same tough time deciding on if I stay at this Hilton or at the Sheraton, so any news on how the remodeled rooms are, the lounge, and pictures or anything will greatly help me this fall
THIS IS/WAS GREAT! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!
And I definitely will post updates. That was the problem w/ this from the beginning as you can tell.