FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will I retain status benefit (upgrade, seat, baggage, etc.) after losing status?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:25 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Nice to see that AA has extended the waiver for SXM to include flights to August 31, 2018 (a few days ago it was still only to December 31, 2017).

But I'm not sure what good it does me to re-book to SXM another day before September 30, 2018 given the shape the island seems to be in. I would much rather be able to change to another airport in the vicinity - SKB, in particular - or just get a refund.
We were scheduled SXM-MIA-SFO 23 Nov. our transatlantic cruise operating compchsbged disembarkation to BGI. I called AA and got changed to BGI-MIA-SFO without change fees, only the change in fare was added.

Code:
Hurricane Irma - St. Maarten
 Information current as of September 13, 2017

If you’re traveling to/through/from:

St. Maarten, St. Maarten (SXM)
 The change fee may be waived if you:

• Are traveling on an American Airlines flight
  • Bought your ticket by September 10, 2017
  • Are scheduled to travel September 5 - December 31, 2017
  • Can travel September 10, 2017 - September 30, 2018
  • Don't change your origin or destination city
  • Rebook in the same cabin or pay the difference
  • Change your trip
If your trip is eligible, you can change it online. Here’s how: Find your trip (link on aa.com) If your trip is eligible, you’ll see the option to ‘change trip’ in the toolbar Look up your trip (link on aa.com) Call Reservations Can't change your trip online? Contact Reservations
As shown in the thread linked to in the Wikipost, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...gh-2017-a.html.

The confusing parts were 1) the policy isn't as well written and clear as it could be, and 2) the agent was bound and determined to misread the policy and kept telling me the change fee waiver only applied through 30 Sepm2027, until I kept repeating it was 30 Sep 2018 and the waiver was for flights to or from SXM booked through 31 Dec 2017. Yep, a long time EP agent.