FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Andaz Maui vs. Grand Wailea
View Single Post
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:07 am
soliloquy

Programs: Several...
We've decided to stay in the Wailea area at this point. We are now choosing between Andaz and Grand Wailea. Almost there...

Any opinions on Grand Wailea (WA) vs. Andaz Maui? We are staying 5 days in early April. Right now we are booked at the Andaz. Prior to that we are staying at the Mauna Lani on Hawaii. We had to cancel our Hapuna reservations because of the construction and inaccurate estimates of completion. We are going early spring.

I have posted this question in another thread (or two), but I realized that if I was posting in the Andaz Master thread, people there tended to be loyal to Hyatt and if I posted in the Hilton area, people tended to be loyal to Grand Wailea. So I was hoping to get a good mixture of the reviews by posting in an "independent" thread.

If you've seen one of my previous posts and responded, I did appreciate your feedback. I have looked on TA and many other websites, but I trust the more discerning reviews here than on TA.

From what I gathered online:

Andaz Pros: Great beach, fewer children, free self-service laundry, and just modern and chic overall, lots of extras for resort fee including: * GoPro Hero 5 Camera Rental * GroPro Lab * Outrigger Excursion * Kayak Tours * Snorkel Rental * Stand Up Paddle Board Lessons * Yoga and Fitness Classes * Single & Tandem Bike Rental * Ukulele Lessons * Body Board Rental * Photography Session * Coconut Husking Lessons ANDAZ BRAND AMENITIES INCLUDED WITH THE STAY * Transportation within Wailea * Reusable Water Bottle and Eco-bag * Hub 808 Kids Club(Complimentary, daytime) * Welcome Beverage (non-alcoholic) * Select snacks and non-alcoholic beverages in mini-bar, replenished daily * 'Ohana Lounge - early arrival and late departure lounge

Andaz Cons: Small bedroom and awkward bathroom, ocean view rooms don't always have a view of the ocean, charges resort fee and mandatory valet to the tune of $75.00 per night.

WA Pros: Great beach, beautiful grounds, large well-appointed rooms/bathrooms, resort fee includes: Includes:-
* A tropical flower lei greeting upon arrival
* Two bottles of water on day of arrival placed in the guestroom
* A welcome Mai Tai non-alcoholic punch at designated check-in area
* Unlimited local, toll-free, and credit card calls (no access fee)
* Coffee and tea in guestrooms
* Participation in yoga classes
* Admission to twice-daily scuba clinics
* Use of Kona Lanai Hardtail Mountain Bikes(based on availability)
* Beach umbrellas for use on Wailea Beach (subject to resorts inventory)
* In-room high speed internet access (up to 2MB), with wireless capability and internet for multiple devices

WA Cons: Potentially lots of children, more touristy, no laundry facilities, $60,00 resort and parking fees.

I realize this probably isn't an exhaustive list and that the final answer depends on the end-user. But, what would you suggest for a 10 year anniversary.

Price is not a big concern but the WA accommodations are 200-400 less than the comparable accommodations at the Andaz.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 17, 2018 at 5:42 am Reason: split from other thread with previous responses retained