FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DMZ worth it without Panmunjom (JSA)?
View Single Post
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:23 pm
worldiswide

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
I mean if you literally want to see North Korea, by all means do a Non-JSA tour. That being said, the Non-JSA tour is not the best because it just looks like the regular Korean countryside over there. If you want the feeling of SUPER SCARY INTENSE security theater North Korea, you need the JSA.

If it's your first time in Seoul, you will have many things to do. You shouldn't be at a loss if JSA cancels. As far as the "other sights" in Seoul, I can't say what you have left/what you will have already seen of course, but there's plenty to do in Seoul.
I really have to agree with the super scary intense security theater that is the JSA.., I found it one of the most depressing borders anywhere in the world. And I understand your concern about the tour being cancelled. We went to Korea a few years ago, just after some S Korean soldiers had drowned during tensions with the North... We were supposed to be taken by the US military to the DMZ. This had been arranged months in advance. About two days before, we got a call that the army was concerned about upcoming planned demonstrations in Seoul at the time or our visit, and advised us, very prudently not to go near the demonstrations and told us they would not be able to accompany us. I waited until night when it would be morning in Korea, and called a couple of tour agencies to see if they had places for us in 48 hours time. One did, and I wasn't sure until I saw the car at the hotel.whether the trip was actually one or not. It did go on as planned, and I will say it was the single most impressionable experience in Korea, hesitating to call it a highlight. That said, Seoul is a very interesting city from a historical perspective, great temples, cultural, fantastic national museum, shopping, and just admiring the metropolis that has been built on the southern side in the last 50 years. We just returned from a trip to Asia, where we had a one night stopover in Seoul, and realized how great a destination it is... but certainly cold in December... better to visit in the spring. So, I am +1 the quoted poster ., in that you cant go wrong on your first visit to Seoul... it is also a great airport.