FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade using cash on reward night......am I being ripped off?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:55 pm
CJKatl

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by craigmmorq4
How does the hotel know that the 45k points per night I'm using wasn't earned at an expensive property.....
Curiosity: What is your thinking on this? Is your thinking that if you paid for an expensive room you gave more revenue to "Marriott" so your points should earn more? I'm not following. Since points are based on amount spent, you would earn the same amount of points on a $400 JW Marriott room as you would on four $100 FI rooms, so the revenue would always be the same. And the profit might actually be higher on the FI rooms if it's an older, paid for property in Podunk versus a gleaming new property in a city. Besides, the profit to the hotel might be different, but Marriott is really only making a small profit on the points, which, again, will be the same regardless of the type of hotel because points are based on revenue.

Originally Posted by craigmmorq4
..I've booked family suite and want to upgrade or pool suite which is 30 euro difference per night.
Where do you get this 30 EUR difference? Was this showing on the Marriott website as the UG amount and now the hotel is telling you the UG amount is different, or did you look up the cash prices for both, subtract and assume that is the difference? If it's the latter, you're out of gas. It doesn't work that way. If it's the former, contact Marriott and let them know the hotel is not offering what is on the site.