FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DoubleTree Suites by Hilton New York City - Times Square {US-NY} (no longer Honors)
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:13 am
jamesteroh
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by pinniped
Thanks for the heads-up: I hadn't considered this, and I suspect you're right: that's where a lot of people will probably use the coupons, even though breakfast is probably the single worst value in a hotel (if you have to pay for it). Lots of people in NYC for tourism, in that part of town, are going to shows at night and will assume they won't use them then. So breakfast is kind of all that's left...

I had resigned myself to the fact that the $25 would be happening, and was willing to spend it on cocktails. (Not a great value either, but with this group I'm traveling with a pre-dinner cocktail at the hotel often happens.) But I'm not going to take a chance on a wait for breakfast - that's simply never OK at a freaking Doubletree. I'll probably head back over to one of my HGIs or Hiltons on the east side that I've had good luck with, and they have no resort fees. Yet.
The breakfast at DT Times Square is the best Hilton breakfast I've had in NYC. But now that I think about it the price is a lot more than $25 a person and if there are two or more people in the room than I'm sure non-status and silver aren't going to want to pay up the additional money for additional guests. The breakfast is great for free but nowhere close to being worth what they charge.

My stays there are normally only award stays and not paid stays and I am hopping like with the resort fee they waive it on award stays. If not I'll just use it for cocktails instead of letting it go to waste.

IIRC they don't have room service here any longer and I know they don't at the Midtown Hilton. I think it's absurd these properties are eliminating room service and then charging this fee.