FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Renters who don't fill up on gas quite all the way to F...
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:59 am
docbert

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Sometimes this comes down to the vehicle rather than the driver...

Picked up a Sentra from Hertz a few days ago. Fuel was dead on the F line, which on some cars is as high as it goes, so I was suspicious it wasn't full, but it was full so I didn't mention it.

After driving about 40 mile the gauge was about 1/8th of a tank down, so it was fairly clear it hadn't been full. Pulled into a gas station and filled it up - but it only took just over 1 gallon, even though I topped it off once after it stopped. So at that point I was thinking it's just a screwy gauge, and the car had been full at pickup.

However even after refilling it, the gauge never got back up to Full - not even level with the line like when I picked it up.

Just before returning it a few days later I filled up. This time I kept topping it off once the pump clicked off (like they tell you not to). Every time I did that, it took another 1/4 gallon, eventually taking about 1.2 gallon more before I stopped pushing. At that point the gauge was above the F line, like you'd expect with most cars.