FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wow - selling the upgrades at the gate so explicitly.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:21 am
FlyngSvyr

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by demkr
On my flight today, about 5 minutes before boarding, the gentleman who was #1 on the list with 1 seat left. He inquired if he was going to get upgraded to the GA. GA's response was "Well, someone could still buy the seat so we'll let you know."

I mean it's just so blatant now. I guess it's not really a surprise. (He did end up getting his upgrade though!)
I have been "that guy" a couple of times and simply asked the gate agent when do they usually clear that last CPU. In IAH, the GA said they normally wait until the flight is boarding, but she gave me a wink and cleared it then (about 20 minutes prior to boarding). In ORD, the GA told me that they had to wait until after boarding ended, so I had to take my E+ seat and the CPU cleared on my App about the time they started clearing standby's.

Maybe they are inconsistent between GA's as to when they clear the last CPU, but it's not like this GA announced it over the PA and was actively trying to sell it.