FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2018 Let's Eat - Polaris Business
View Single Post
Old Jan 13, 2018, 8:09 am
skycrab

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
Originally Posted by st530
I've noticed on several recent flights that the late-flight champagne has been "enhanced" to domestic prosecco. They seem to keep that in reserve for when the good (it's all relative here, folks) stuff runs out. Oh, United.
My understanding is that they cater 2 bottles of champagne to Polaris Business (I don't think this is sufficient), and they're *supposed* to do 2 bottles of vintage champagne for First. However, on a recent flight on UA949, they only catered 2 bottles of champagne - Nicholas Feuillatte Brut Reserve which I think UA could improve upon. However, as they didn't cater any for F, one bottle was given to F, and the other was sparingly distributed in J. Worse yet, 7/8 pax in F were non-rev.

FA tried to offer sparkling wine (I'm not sure if it was even prosecco) when we asked for Champagne, as I think they wanted to give both bottles to F, but I said absolutely not, so received 1 glass of champagne each.
Also, they only catered 1 bottle of Riesling and 1 bottle of Chardonnay for J, which ran out very quickly.

I don't know if it was a failure, or intentional, but I'm not impressed. I tend to buy P class fares for personal travel, and for £2K+ I'm expecting champagne and wines that cost more than £6 (one of the wines on the menu was genuinely retailing for £6, and not rated very highly at all).
I'm also deeply unimpressed that non-rev F were prioritised over revenue J pax. I would also be furious if I was on a paid F ticket and received £29 NV champagne.

6-9 months ago, they were serving Pommery Grand Cru 2006 vintage in J, so what's happened?