FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa in Avon, CO [Master Thread]
Old Jan 13, 2018, 6:20 am
UA-NYC
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dingo
My family (me, wife, 7 year old kiddo) stayed here in the summer of 2017. We had an overall great stay, and want to return for the ski season.

This will be my daughter's first time skiing; it will be my wife's and my first time in 15 years, second time in 25 years. Point being: we're not professionals!

The main point of the trip is to get my daughter some ski experience; we'll likely do some private lessons for her.

We didn't pay much attention to the ski logistics when we were there in the summer; I'd love, request, implore as much information on how skiing 'works' at the Westin as possible.

We do not have our own ski gear. We do not have passes or tickets. We want to ski for 3 days (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday), not more than 5 hours per day likely between 3 and 5.

I'm not clear how the gondolas work outside the Westin; where do they take me? Where and how shoudl I rent skis? Rent daily? For three days? Can I store them at the Westin?

Any tips for ski school for the kiddo? Or privat instructors?

Any other tips for a first time to this place newbie?
It's an amazing property and one of my favorite Westins out there (obviously different from a lot of urban ones). I'm a couple years out of date here, but from what I remember:
- there is a very quick gondola that goes right from the hotel up to the base area (where I bought tickets in the past, you may be able to buy at the hotel but not sure). Note that it's often cheaper to buy in advance, and to buy a multi-day pass vs. single days as most good ski resorts now do demand based pricing
- you can rent equipment on site - they will store it for you overnight. Might be cheaper to do it "in town" (Avon) but can't comment on any differential
- private instructors are always nice but you will pay for them! haven't used them there.
- I don't understand your "5 hours per day, between 3 and 5" note...did you mean between 9 and 5? lift hours usually 8:30 or 9 to 3:30 or 4, depends on the trail

BTW you will feel on Monday like you were hit by a ton of bricks so just because you feel great on day 1 doesn't mean you need to push it!

Enjoy.