FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why do we accept so few Comfort+ seats on DL planes?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:56 am
ethernal

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by jk88usa
I see this a lot on close in bookings. It’s usually not actually sold out, but the only remaining seats are usually a few middles and the 2 blocked for assignment at the gate. If you really wanted the any seat in C+ over one in the main cabin, I’d say you’d have a good shot at the upgrade at the gate or even at the 5 day window.
I am usually at least 10 down on the upgrade list for C+ at the gate. Sometimes lower, sometimes higher if I'm on an M or B fare. Also, is 10 days really close-in bookings (and practically speaking 3 weeks out given that is usually when it is sold out)? I'd consider that pretty far out.

That being said, in answer to your question of “why we accept so few seats,” I think most people on here (myself included) would tell you C+ isn’t worth much to us, and it certainly isn’t worth some of the crazy sums DL wants to charge you for a paid upgrade. Free booze is great, but honestly exit rows can make up for the legroom difference.
Exit rows are all sold out as well since everyone gets access to those (corp bookings, silver, etc)*. The extra 3-4" of seat pitch makes a huge difference in terms of actually being productive on the plane. I'd consider the jump from a 30" seat pitch -> 34" seat pitch just as important as the jump from C+ -> F. I couldn't care less about free booze, IFE, or "premium" snacks.

Edit:* In addition, due to Delta's choice for exit row config on the 737-9, there are really only 8 exit row seats instead of 12 like on AA/UA. Small but further constrains the "usable seat" selection.

Last edited by ethernal; Jan 12, 2018 at 7:10 am