FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why do we accept so few Comfort+ seats on DL planes?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 5:49 am
ethernal

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Why do we accept so few Comfort+ seats on DL planes?

I am a recent convert to Delta (I live in Atlanta but my previous flying patterns allowed me to fly primarily UA and AA almost exclusively for several years - which is great as it often creates a reverse commute situation meaning low fares and plenty of upgrade space). I knew switching more flying over to Delta would eliminate F upgrades (which was true - I was 1/80 segments as a PM/DM last year on business travel), but I didn't expect that I'd be sitting in the very back of the plane in regular coach 80-90% of the time.

I know that there is some degree of route specificity here - but one thing that has been very troublesome is the astounding lack of Comfort+ seats on most flights. I am a DM and I do not get Comfort+ - and the few times that I do, it is a middle seat so I have to make the hard decision of whether I go back to Y (if there are even any aisle/window seats left).

Even if I want to buy a W seat with cash, I can't. It is universally sold out. I never had this problem with United - even when booking only a few days before departure and from UA hubs during peak travel times (including ORD, IAH, EWR, and SFO).

I don't see many people complaining about this. While one could say this is related to Medallion inflation, I don't think that is the case - it is entirely Delta's fault because of plane configurations. When you compare Delta's configuration to both AA and United, Delta is a clear loser in terms of the number of Comfort+ seats. I don't see how Delta can simultaneously bill themselves as a business airline and then not provide enough W seats that allow people to actually get work done on the plane when the rest of the domestic industry does. I am 6'4". I don't need F to get work done, but I can't work in a seat with a 30" seat pitch as my arms are too long and the laptop screen angle does not work.

Let's look at some of the most common configurations Delta, AA, and United:

737-900
Delta: 21
United (most common configuration): 51 (143% more than Delta)
AA: Does not fly 737-9

757-200
Delta: 21-29, 32 for 753
United: 57 (for 753 - doe not fly 752)
AA: 52

A320
Delta: 18
United: 42
AA: Not configured with dedicated MCE (to be reconfigured soon)

Admittedly some of these are somewhat misleading (e.g., United bills exit rows on their 737/320 planes as W while Delta does not) - and AA hasn't fully converted their fleet yet - but the general trend is clear. 21 C+ seats is simply not enough for planes with 200+ passengers.

Am I just being whiny, or do others see this as a problem too?

Last edited by ethernal; Jan 12, 2018 at 6:50 am Reason: Wording