FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively {Archive}
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:26 am
IAH-OIL-TRASH
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by optimom
There IS such a thing as linked PNRs.

We frequently link different PNRs in our family, for instance if one person is on a paid ticket, another is on award travel, or one of the itinerary legs is different, or the reservations have been made at different times. We also do it when we are on the same itineraries, because separate PNRs will allow my husband to be upgraded if there is only one space available (he likes to sleep on flights, so values lie-flat seats more than I do).
Also, a non-elite status passenger on a separate PNR can be upgraded to economy plus seating by being linked to an elite member - we do this when we fly with our kids.

As far as I know, linking cannot be done online - it requires a phone call.
PNRs aren’t linked. The agent just confirms the Premier’s status in order to assign E+ seats to the non-status passenger. A notation might be put in the record, but UA’s system does not see them as “linked”. You still have to check in separately for each PNR - pretty much irrefutable evidence that UA doesn’t see them as linked. Also - when you book an itinerary and then split it for upgrade purposes, they are no longer linked. UA can trace the history, but for all purposes (including IRROPs), they are separate. The hope is that an agent catches the notation, but all UA’s system processes won’t - they detect no link.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 9, 2018 at 9:37 am