FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Chase rule: only one Sapphire card
View Single Post
Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:27 pm
Diplomatico

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by XCstud
I want to switch from the Sapphire Preferred to the Reserve, but have to close my CSP to be eligible for the 50k point sign on bonus. Is it better to downgrade the CSP to a no AF UR card to keep my points active or transfer all my points out and close the CSP before applying for the CSR?

I'm not a churner and I've had the CSP for 5+ years. Does changing the CSP to something else count as a new credit application? I'd close whatever card I switch to as soon as I get the CSR.
Downgrade your CSP to a CF or CFU - the points stay active and when you do get your CSR you can transfer those points to your CSR account, if you so choose. (You retain more flexibility by doing this instead of locking those points into one transfer partner now.)

Downgrading your card does not count as a new credit application; in fact, the account number usually doesn't change. (Also, why close the downgraded card after you obtain your CSR? It's no AF.)