FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]
View Single Post
Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:27 am
RogerD408
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I asked about this in another thread. Is this myth or fact? I'd be curious to know (1) how common it is for Marriott elites to have information about them in a central system that any hotel can see and (2) how this complies with any privacy laws, particularly in a state like California that has pretty strict rules about this sort of thing.

I know it isn't unheard of for a good hotel to have its own internal system. For example, the St. Thomas Ritz-Carlton has a file on my colleague who stayed there 3-4 times a year before the hurricanes destroyed the hotel this year. They knew he preferred Diet Coke over Diet Pepsi and, as a result, always have Diet Coke stocked whenever he was in residence.
I would think being the properties are affiliated with each other via Marriott Hotels, that sharing data would not be prohibited and there may very well be some verbiage buried in the T&Cs that give them that ability. Personally, if there was something I wanted a property to know about my desires (Coke vs Pepsi), I'd make a point of letting them know and would have no problem sharing that info. Also, if a guest has a high PITA rating, then I suspect that's ok to share too. Unfortunately, we may never know unless a current/former property employee cares to comment and even then it would only be for the property they have experience. I would expect even different chains operated by the same franchise can and do share information, again, being under the same parent. Now if they were to publish the data beyond their domain, then I'd suspect AGs could come into play. I surely wouldn't want them posting my stay (and guest's names) on their Facebook page or website!